Chimera Song Mosaic
Friday, March 11, 2005
 
I'm growing hyacinths right now for Iranian New Year. It's not so much the case that I grow them because of Iranian New Year, but it is the case that the hyacinth bulbs happen to appear in stores several months prior, then I happen to put them in my fridge to chill for two months, then I take them out and put them in their glass vases in the dark for a while, then, when my winter break is over, and they have overwintered sufficiantly, they come out of the cabinet to grow in the sunlight, and it just so happens that all of this tends to coincide with Iranian New Year (this year March 20th).

When they see my hyacinths, my Persian friends interpret all this differently, but I let them because it makes me more Persian to do so. I am riding on the marginal tails of someone else's approval of me, as I am wont to do.


Powered by Blogger